The JON CHERNEY HUMANITARIAN AWARD, a $2,500.00 college scholarship, will be presented this year in loving memory of Jon Cherney, Broadcast Production Coordinator at Beverly Hills High School, who passed away on November 26, 1995. For those of you who had the privilege of knowing Jon, you are undoubtedly aware that he, in 28 years, touched more lives than most people do in a normal lifetime. He had a profound effect on each and every person he ever met.
Jon graduated from Beverly in 1985, following a brilliant career in the Media Department. After graduating from New York University Tisch School of the Arts, Jon worked in various professional capacities in the entertainment industry, but soon found his true calling by returning to Beverly Hills High School to assist his mentor, Dave Stiles, in running the same Media Department which had first inspired him as a student. Jon is lovingly remembered as a dedicated teacher, compassionate mentor and, perhaps more importantly, a true friend to Beverly students and Beverly staff.
Shortly before his death, he left Beverly with the following message:
“What, then, really is important? Even when you are young and feeling invincible, you really do not have any control over anything EXCEPT what you say and what you do. Your word: what you say, what you commit to, and if you follow through on that commitment…Do something that will make a difference. Instead of blending in, be an original.”
The Jon Cherney Humanitarian Award, created by the Cherney Family and the Associated Student Body, was established at Beverly in 1996 to keep alive Jon’s spirit and enthusiasm for life and to help the students who were so important to him. This college scholarship is awarded annually to a member of the Senior Class who epitomizes Jon’s unique combination of academic achievement, creative talent and spirituality, and, who like Jon, embraces a sincere devotion to humanity and a great passion for making a positive difference.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN THE APPLICATION PROCESS:
- Describe ways in which your actions demonstrate a sincere devotion to humanity and a passion for making a positive difference through an essay, video, picture collage, audio recording or any other medium. Note: please do not submit your college essay.
- Also, please submit two letters of recommendation from two adults who can best attest to your humane qualities (parents and relatives excluded).
- One recommendation letter should be from a Beverly faculty member and both letters should specifically address the student’s qualifications for the award and must be sent directly to the Cherney Committee.
- Students may submit the letters if they are in a sealed envelope.
- Applicants may be requested to interview before the Committee. Please provide email and cell phone information with your submission.
Ms. Casey Barneson, Mr. Dusty Stiles, Vinkul Bali, two students selected by the Activities Director, and members of the Cherney Family.
A $2,500.00 college scholarship will be awarded in memory of Jon Cherney and presented at Senior Awards Night.
All submissions can be made electronically or as hard copy and are due by MONDAY, APRIL 4, 2022 BY 4:00 PM.
Please email your submission to:
Please submit your application materials to Ms. Barneson in the college center, B1-126.
Any questions can be directed to a committee member or firstname.lastname@example.org.